Tofu is made from soy milk and it’s a recipe for vegan or vegetarian Tofu chili. This is made by adding tofu in a special chilli sauce. It’s the main ingredient in Japanese cuisine. Tofu is made by coagulating soy milk using a mixture of calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. This sets the milk into curds. After cooking, we press tofu to remove excess liquid. Tofu can be eaten as a snack, a basic appetizer, not just a meal, or made into tempeh or gyoza. Tofu’s versatility appeals to Japanese people who prefer their non-vegetarian food natural and tasty.
What chili sauce or hot sauce goes well with tofu?
There are several types of chili sauces or hot sauces that go well with tofu, but the two most common are sriracha and hot sauce such as Tabasco or Frank’s Red Hot. Sriracha is a Thai hot sauce, but you can use it as a dipping sauce for tofu. As the name implies, Tabasco is a mild hot sauce and you can use it in vegan and vegetarian dishes. However, it can be pretty harsh on tofu and you can use it sparingly. so keep a close eye on the amount you use. Adding nutritional yeast to the chili sauce adds a cheesy touch and a cheesy taste perfect on tofu. This cheesy flavor goes well with most tofu dishes.
Chili powder is a staple ingredient in many Asian dishes. Depending on your spice preferences, a teaspoon or two in a dish can enhance the spice and flavor immensely. If you can’t find chili powder, other spices such as cumin, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and onion powder can produce the same flavor. A silver lining of using dark soy for a vegan tofu chili recipe is that you can make sauce ahead and refrigerated for several hours. This will make it easier to reheat and eat rather than for dinner the next day, which is what I do all the time now.
You can pair Tofu, chili powder, and nutritional yeast tofu with any nutrition-packed ingredients. This recipe of vegetarian tofu chili has a side dish of cauliflower rice, but rice is not a whole meal that I would want to eat regularly. It is a better option than flat white noodles. You can easily eliminate for the tofu portion of the meal.
Some more recipes for you:
- 200 gm tofu
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- as per taste salt
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 4 celery
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- Take a dry bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the tofu.
- Squeeze the grated ginger and add juice to tofu. Mix them all and leave for an hour to season.
- Add 1 tbsp. of tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp corn flour, 1 tbsp. soya sauce, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tbsp. chili sauce, 1 tsp sugar into a bowl, and mix them all.
- Then add 2 tbsp. water and mix with them again.
- Heat a pan and add 2 tbsp. olive oil. Cook in low heat. Let the oil heat up.
- Then add seasoned tofu to the oil. Saute until slightly brown. Once it is cooked flip it. Flip again. Now they have firmed. Take them out.
- Then add ginger, garlic paste into the pan, and keep it on low heat.
- Add chopped celery, onion, bell pepper, finely chopped capsicum to the pan. Keep them 20 seconds in low heat.
- Finally, add tofu into the pan. Mix them.
- Then add the sauce into the pan. Mix them all and cook until the sauce thickens. Switch off the flame and transfer to a serving bowl.