Egg curry, also known as anda curry, is an Indian recipe made by putting boiled eggs into the spicy tomato and yoghurt gravy. And it is suitable for gluten-free and keto diet followers.
For Shallow Frying Eggs (optional)
For making Egg Curry gravy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 Tomatoes, pureed
- 2 cloves Garlic to be pureed with tomatoes
- 2 inch Ginger to be pureed with tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- as per taste Salt
For Shallow Frying Eggs (Optional)
Prick boiled eggs with the help of fork or toothpick.
Coat all eggs with turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
Shallow fry eggs for 2-3 minutes.
Preparing Yoghurt & Spice Mix
Mix yoghurt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder tgether and keep it aside.
For Making Gravy
Heat oil in a pan.
Add chopped onions and green chillies into it and cook till onions became translucent.
Then add pureed tomatoes with ginger and garlic. Add salt and cook for 5 minutes.
Afterwards, add yoghurt and spice mix and cook till gravy releases oil from the corners.
Add kasuri methi and garam masala at this stage and after mixing both, add fried eggs.
Close the lid of the pan and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
Egg curry is ready.
How to Boil Eggs for Egg Curry?
As the eggs are the main ingredients in the recipe, it is essential to boil them well. It means not too soft so that it breaks down in the gravy or not too hard so that you can’t peel its shell off easily. Here is the way to perfectly boil them.
- In a large pot, carefully place the eggs and cover them with water from a tap.
- Cover the eggs with two inches of water and bring them to a boil over medium heat.
- When the water begins to boil, set the timer to three minutes.
- After three minutes, cover the pot and remove it from the heat.
- Set another timer for ten minutes. After ten minutes, soak the egg in ice water to cool it down.
- Gently peel the shells from the eggs and set them aside until needed.
Tips for the Recipe
- Make it creamier – Add 1 tablespoon of cream to make egg curry gravy creamier and rich.
- Onions – Instead of chopped onions, you may use grated or pureed onion. Chopped onions make gravy chunky.
Calories: 532kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 23.1gFat: 30.4gSaturated Fat: 4.8gCholesterol: 329mgSodium: 829mgPotassium: 1826mgFiber: 26.3gSugar: 11.3gCalcium: 120mgIron: 4mg