Moong Dal Halwa
A healthy sweet recipe from Indian kitchen that is made by blending soaked split yellow lentils and roasting it into ghee and sugar mixture.
- 1 cup moong dal (split) (soaked in water overnight or 4-5 hours)
- 6 tbsp ghee
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- few chopped nuts (for garnish)
Blend soaked moon dal in a blender and make a paste. Add very little water.
Heat ghee in a pan on medium heat.
Once it is hot, add dal paste into it.Keep stirring the dal on low to medium heat. Stirring is important because the dal may form into lumps.
Once the dal is roasted and start realising the ghee from corners, gradually and slowly add milk and stir continuously so there aren’t any lumps. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Now, add sugar and cardamom powder and mix well on low heat till the halwa leaves ghee from corners.
Now, turn off the heat, transfer halwa into a bowl and garnish with chopped nuts.
Moong dal halwa is ready. Serve hot.
- Add saffron to milk, if you want to give your moong dal halwa a nice texture.
- You may also add condensed milk after adding milk to make it creamier. But sugar must be adjusted accordingly.
- You may serve it with ice cream. It tastes superb.
Calories: 486kcalCarbohydrates: 96.3gProtein: 8.8gFat: 8.7gSaturated Fat: 5.1gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 104mgPotassium: 378mgFiber: 1.9gSugar: 90.2gCalcium: 296mgIron: 2mg